From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 07:01:35 -0700
I don't have to be a vet to diagnosis this one.  It's definitely adrenal
gland tumors.  Schedule an ultrasound so the vet can see if there's going
to be any complications (NOT just to look for an adrenal tumor, since
they DON'T always show up on an ultrasound.) and then schedule the
surgery for as soon as possible.

Well heck... I'll just copy to you parts of the same email I just sent to
someone else:

 ... Other symptoms of this include bilateral (similar on both sides of
the spinal column) hair loss or, just thinning hair, at base of tail,
between shoulder blades, backs of ears, back of head, tops of toes, or
tail, an increase of agressive behavior, a musky smell around neck
(different from "sleepy ferret" smell).

Some ferrets show NONE of these symptoms and still have adrenal gland
tumors.  Hair growing back does NOT mean the tumor is not there, and it
doesn't always fall out enough to make a bald spot.  It's very common for
it to grow back, only to fall out again, sometimes in a different area!

Adrenal gland tumors are so common (85% of all ferrets will eventually
have it) that we don't waste money on testing.  At the very first
symptoms we just schedule the surgery.  We have NEVER NOT found an
adrenal tumor.  We've done over 30 adrenal surgeries in the past 2 years.
The first symptom is usually hair thinning (we NEVER wait for bald
spots!), increased aggression is the second most common.

If it IS an enlarged prostate, chances are the adrenal tumor is well
advanced REGARDLESS of whether you've seen any other symptoms.  With the
kidneys also involved, I'd say that there's a 99.9% chance that you're
dealing with adrenal gland tumors that have been there for a year or
more.  (That's just speaking from experience with the ferrets that come
through our shelter.)

In cases where adrenal tumors have been present for this length of time,
it is CRITICAL that the ferret receive hormonal supplements of Florinef
after surgery.  Dr. Leo Gates (210-658-6326, have your vet call it he is
unfamiliar with this) prescribes it for a 5 week (minimum) period after
surgery to prevent the sudden withdrawal of the tumors's hormone output
from being fatal... it is a VERY common cause of post adrenal surgery
death in ferrets with advanced adrenal disease so PLEASE talk to your vet
about this.  Dr. Gates uses the Florinef protocol for ALL adrenal
surgeries, since it is so very easy for the disease to have been present
for a long time without being diagnosed.

I do NOT recommend the Tennesse Panel for adrenal tumor testing.  If
there's enough cause for the Tennessee Panel test, spend the money on
surgery instead.  By the time the prostate and kidneys are involved, time
is getting critical.  YOU DON'T HAVE MONTHS TO WAIT.  An ultrasound can
sometimes show the tumor and the vet can see if there will be any
additional complications.  But adrenal tumors DON'T always show on
ultrasound.

Lupron can be used to help reduce the prostate and is the choice for
ferrets that are not good candidates for surgery.  I currently have one
3 1/2 yr. old male in the shelter, Sneakers, that is getting Lupron in
hopes of reducing the prostate to a point that surgery to remove the
adrenal tumors is less risky.  If the Lupron does NOT reduce his
prostate, Sneakers is doomed to a life of chronic bladder/kidney
infections that will eventually kill him within a year or two.  Surgery
is ALWAYS the first choice with ferrets that are, or with treatment can
become, good surgical candidates.

Lupron does NOT make an adrenal tumor go away, it only treats the
symptoms.  As the tumor continues to grow, it presses on the bladder,
kidneys, and urinary tract causing reduced urine flow, allowing urine to
"pool" in contricted passages where bacteria can grow until it blocks the
flow of urine, backing the bacteria up to the bladder & kidneys, causing
kidney failure and death.

PLEASE feel free to print this and take it to your vet for discussion.

At the web site listed below are links to excellent, professional medical
resources for you and your vet.  I highly recommend the web site of Dr.
Bruce Williams, who is one of the world's leaders in ongoing research of
ferret medicine...

Now, back to your new guy, specifically:
The "rank" smell you've noticed is the "whole male" smell; what an
un-neutered male smells like due to the hormone output of the enlarged
adrenal glands (the tumor makes the gland grow, so it puts out more
hormones than the normal small gland which is about the size of a pin
head.)

The wirey feel of his fur is also an adrenal symptom as is the
pear-shape, or pot-belly.

For immediate odor relief, try the spray on coat conditioner/deodorizer
stuff.  It is safe to use several times a day.  It does curb the smell
but it won't help the texture of his coat.  Only surgery and a coat
change or two will fix that and restore it's normal softness.  Change his
bedding daily.  Use a tightly sealing "diaper pail" for dirty bedding to
keep odors in check until you have a wash load.

I'm going to be away from the computer for a couple of weeks, so if you
have any questions, please send short, text only emails to my text pager
at [log in to unmask]

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home

Practical & easy training, care, & maintenance articles available at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/