Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:14:47 -0400
I just had to say that I understand why a few people wished the show
had touched upon shelter situations and the negative aspects of ferret
ownership, but there was good reason that the creators of the show did
not do that. The topic was "Pursuit of Excellence". Not ferrets in
general, ferret ownership, etc.. It was to show snippets of a few
peoples lives and their involvement in the show circuit. Period. They
did a bang up job of it too. They would not have been able to do so
well of a job had it addressed this or that PC issue. It's core and
heart was about showing and the people that show. It accomplished that
and did it well.

Personally, I have no knowledge about showing, so for once in my life
... I got a fresh look into the ferret world. That's a first for me. It
was charming and endearing, just like our little ones. To have added
things to it, would have totally disrupted the flow and tone of the
story.

What you should be saying is that you don't want the "artists" to
change their work that did obtain it's goal, but perhaps you'd like a
whole other piece of work. That is what is needed anyway. Not a blurb
about shelters, rescue, or the challenges of ferret ownership. I am
happy to say that before PBS broadcasted it's show, an hour long show
was aired on Animal Planet a couple of years ago that did nothing BUT
display the shelter situation and the difficulty of ferret ownership.
It was a very practical show that looked into the life of a shelter
mom. I am embarrassed to say that I forget who it was about. Maybe
some of you remember here. Once again, although they did a good job
of it, there were some things that could have been added. Or could
they have been? An hour isn't very long to try to tell your story.
Heck, Hollywood has a time of it in editing whole movies which are 2-3
hours long... and much of the good stuff still ends up on the editing
floors. :)