From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 10:29:10 -0400
David and/or Serena asked:
>I've noticed kits that have slightly protruding rectums at the pet
>shop where we bought our first fuzzie.  Do these kits have prolapsed
>rectums, and if so, what problems does this condition cause?

[Preliminary comment: No, I'm not a vet, so don't take my advice as
definitive.]  From what I've seen, those kits in the pet store are fine.
The prolased rectum I saw (in a photo) was red, bloody, and dirty, and stuck
out probably half an inch.  A slight protrusion of the rectum which doesn't
appear irritated or look like it's causing any pain might be the same thing,
but if so, it's a -very- mild case.  If it looks just a little irritated,
our vet recommended Preparation H.  IMO, a lot of the apparent protrusion of
the rectum in kits is just because their fur is short and thin; as they grow
up it grows around the area and looks more like what we're used to.

A prolapsed rectum is caused when the animal has difficulty defecating and
strains hard enough to push out a section of the rectum.  The underlying
cause might be diarrhea, constipation, a blockage, or something else.
Naturally, it's painful, and it can easily get infected.  Treatment might
include Preparation H, antibiotics, or surgery; ask a vet.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>