From:
Katherine Neumeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:49:26 -0500
I heard a similar problem from a fuzzbutt owner on another list, and this
was my advice: be the Playtime Enforcer :) (a weird role to take on, given
that most ferrets won't _stop_ playing) Basically, you have to intervene as
head ferret and try to incorporate all the ferrets in the fun stuff they
like.  When you play, try to involve the kit and one or two of the big kids
with the same toy, like playing tug of war with socks.  Or stick them both
in a sheet and hand wrestle them.  And don't forget the Power of Treats:
every time you give a big kid treats, make sure the kit is right there,
getting treats at the same time.  You might even get the big kids to get
kissy with her that way - a Tone-covered buddy is ok by any ferret.  And
when the big kids get too rough, separate, do a time out, and start all
over again.  When they're asleep, put them together so they get used to
cuddling each other - but do that only when you can supervise waking time,
since they're bound to be crabby about it at first.

Long story short, I found that Sculley acclimated to Buster (who was a
SUPER spoiled little brat) much easier when I orchestrated play time.  You
have to get the older ferrets to see the new kit as a friend to have fun
with, not a competitor for territory and affection.  Sculley was an
absolute hellion about it at first, and she came around, so I've got hope
for your crew :)

Kat

Kat Neumeyer

Research Associate, Pharmacor