From:
"Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:31:25 -0400
I need some help.  I am sitting a friend of mine's ferret and I am having a
rough time of it.  I'm a lurker most of the time but when in need of a
question answered, the FML is the place to go.  I have researched everyone's
suggestions from their home pages, but I still need some help.  I may just
need some mental comforting.

The little gal I am babysitting (Sissy) is probably 3-4 years old.  She is
healthy but has been an only ferret all her life.  I have four very spoiled
rotten ferrets - Whiskers, Tiny (my only girl), Cocoa and Tigger.  When my
friend brought Sissy over we let her out to run around with mine and all was
fine.  There were no fights, just sniffing and more sniffing.  After my
friend left this little gal keeps screaming at my other four.  Every time
one of them gets around her she screams.  I have never experienced a
screaming ferret (except when Whiskers was bit by a turtle and I had to
scruff the turtle off him).  I have did the usual - - interacted bedding,
keeping her separated for out time, supervising play time, but, no, nothing
works.  She still screams when one gets close to her.  My little girl Tiny
chases her around like mad.  Yesterday there was fur flying.  My four walk
around like they want to play but don't understand why she doesn't like
them.  You can really tell how much your ferrets relate to you when
something like this happens.  If they could talk they would say, "Mommy, why
does she do that?" , "We just want to play".  Of course, Tiny would say,
"Let me at her!".

Is there anything else I can do?  I had her this morning in my arms carrying
her around and I picked up Whiskers to see what she would do.  SCREAM.
Sweet Whiskers got screamed at.

I was hoping they would get along.  Should I just keep trying?  Are there
any more suggestions out there?  I would like for them to get along because
this is a good friend of mine (should I say, very, very good male friend of
mine) and one of these days they all might be sisters and brothers.

Thanks in advance!

Mindy with Whiskers, Tiny, Cocoa, Tigger, and the little screamer, Sissy
(I want my Daddy!)