From:
Jennifer Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:44:24 -0700
>Why do you US chaps not advise the feeding of raw meat to your ferrets?

Well, I commend you for having the time and concern enough to feed your
fuzzheads raw meat.  There are a few problems that I see with their diet,
though.  First off, the tinned cat food.  Canned food is really bad on the
teeth, and plainly is just not good( doesn't have the right nutrition) for
their bodies.  There really is no need to feed them that.  I've never heard
of that particular ferret food before, but from the description, I see only
one thing unhealthy- the herring listed as the second ingredient.  Fish
should be avoided as much as possible, but definitely not in the first 3
ingredients.  I know that I have said this before, but I'll say it again :).
Some of the ferrets relatives eat fish, like the polecat.  But their system
is more designed to eat that sort of thing.  Ferrets simply do not need fish
and consuming it often has an adverse effect- their bodies struggle to
digest it.  James Wellbeloved, other than the fish content, sounds like an
okay food considering the 36% protein.

That's great that you feed your babies raw chicken and rabbit.  This is okay
if( like you do), you feed a staple diet of dry ferret food.  The reason
that I recommend Totally Ferret instead of a diet like your is because most
owners don't have the time and/or money for it, and feeding T.F. is a
balanced and healthy diet.  Throwing in veggies occasionally is a good idea
though.  But this is where I get a little ballistic: I am total disagreement
with feeding your babies raw fish, for the reasons listed previously.  And I
strongly disagree to feed ferrets any dairy products- especially milk.  The
bread part if fine, but what many people don not realize is that the milk
comes from a cow, which was designed for the diet of a baby cow, not a
ferret.  Even many people are lactose intolerant, which is how you should
look at your fuzzbutts, Sure they love it and probably won't die from
drinking milk, but it can cause cramping, vomiting and diarrhea.  So, please
try to substitute the milk treat with something else, like perhaps bananas
or raisins.  Anyhoo, you asked for my two cents, so there it is.  Dooks to
all!

Jennifer M. Coyer CVT
Fred, Faya and Zero the Fuzzmunchkins