From:
"Green, Kelly D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:47:35 -0600
<<<<any advice on cats and ferrets living together?>>>>>>

To anonymous,

I have a 20lb. 7 year old cat who has never seen a ferret in his life.  I
brought my first little 1.3lb fuzzball (louie) home worried to death at
how Sebastian(the cat) would react to her.  At first the ferret was very
curious and the cat would just stare at the ferret (like, oh my goodness
what is that thing and why does it smeell like that???).  But everything
was fine for a while and then the ferret got brave and wanted to pull the
cat around by his scruff and the cat said no (with one, claws in, pat on
the head from the cat) louie (the ferret) figured out that the cat doesn't
like to play like she does.  So then I got a kitten and two more ferrets
and now my little 1.3lb.  baby girl has plenty of friends to play with.
Louie and the kitten (trixie) now 7 months old are best friends they would
chase each other through the ferret tube until the cat got too big.  But
now I have a toy poodle (5.7lbs.) who insists on playing with the big
20lb.  cat, she has had a few swats on the head and just hasn't figured
it out yet.....must not be as smart as the ferrets....hehehe.  I don't
know what it is I guess all of the animals can't figure out why the cat
is so huge; therefore, they all want to check him out and play with him.
However, he only plays with the other two cats and hoomans....no ferrets
and definetley NOT dogs.

Hopefully all will turn out fine, just make sure you supervise the
meetings.  I have read that cats and ferrets generally get along well.
The cat just see's the ferret as another predator...that is what I
read...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Kelly and the zoo
2 hoomans
3 dogs....Tika (Malamute), Angel (Lab/kerr)& little dog (toy poodle)
3 cats....Sebastian, Trixie, & Pouncer
3 ferrets...Louie, my first fuzzball, dark sable
            Tidbit, the pepsi drinker, silver mitt
            Candi, toes...toes...toes, gotta love those toes, albino