From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:22:08 -0400
Hello all.

Last weekend we went camping with our crew of 9 and wouldn't you know it, we
parked next door to someone who had a ferret.  What a nice surprise.  I am
sending them the address for the FML.  They seemed interested in exploring
it so we may be adding some more friends to the list.

Sheena, I hate to blow a hole in your theory but we have a urine licking
female.  She is about 3 years old and in perfect health too.  She licks away
in ecstasy while I look on, ready to barf.  To each their own I guess.

To the one who asked about panting (I am sorry I forgot your name).  We
received Buddy about 3 years ago and one of his previous owners kept him in
a cardboard box.  Well this poor fellow came to us so closterphobic (sp) it
was sad.  When we got him, a cage was almost out of the question, even a
spacious one.  He would pant at the door with only his tongue hanging out of
the bars, with panic in his eyes.  About one month later we went on a trip
to Alaska (with our then 5 ferrets) and of course Buddy had to be caged a
good deal of the time.  They each had their times out during the day (mostly
at night in the motel) but put Buddy back in his cage and he would pant.  So
we do have a panter but it is panic panting.  How is he now you ask?  Just
fine on the whole.  It took a long time and he is out as much as possible
but now when he goes into his cage he just goes under his blankie and
sleeps.  Part of his training was that he could be free and his cage would
be open for him to go into if he wanted.  He gradually learned that once he
is in his cage, he will be let out again.  This last Dec. we went to St.
Louis for a week and when we took Buddy and his cage into the motor home he
started this panic routine again but we talked gently to him and reasured
him and within a minute or two he settled down and was fine for the entire
time.  When I say he is fine I mean he is fine in his cage but you cannot
confine him in any way because he panics and fights to get away.  What a
traumatic experience he must of had when he was young.  What a sweet
beautiful boy he is now.

Tryntje Miller                   Net:[log in to unmask]
Conrad Grebel College Library    Tel: (519) 885-0220 ext. 239
Waterloo, Ontario                Fax: (519) 885-0014
N2L 3G6