From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 07:57:36 -0500
>From:    Gina Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Allergic Reaction
>The purpose of this post is not to create a revolt against rabies
>vaccines nor scare anyone.  It is just a reminder of what to look for.
>How things can change from a ferret never having a problem, to having
>a mild reaction to having a full blown reaction causing the heart to
>stop.  Wait at least 1/2 hour before leaving the office after your
>ferrets have been vaccinated. While your there "watch them"!!

Actually, the post serves a dual purpose.  My response is not directed at
Gina, but to the FML as a whole, because what happened to her and her
ferret is just wrong, and the experience could help someone in the future.

A request was ignored?  The vet was told about a former reaction and still
did the procedure without taking precautionary measures such as pre-dosing
with Benadryl?

That is not a vet anyone should ever take their pet to!  EVER!

A relationship with a vet must be give and take.  There will most certainly
be times when the vet knows more about an illness or situation than an
owner will.  That's how I learned.  BUT: that pet lives with me, that
pet is loved by me, that pet's behaviorism's and daily health is
seen/evaluated/and worried about by me.  Not the vet.  THAT is where I
am the expert.

The bottom line is this: A vet can not treat that animal without
permission!  My vet can't put an animal to sleep without us signing a
consent form!  If we left the vet office for any reason, and he has to do
some tests or treatment, we MUST sign a consent form before we leave or he
will not treat them.  When he wants to run a test, clean a wound, talk to
another vet, prescribe some medicine, keep them overnight, he does NOTHING
until everything is described to us, our questions are answered AND we nod
our heads in agreement.

If you go to a new vet, you may not know how they are going to treat you or
your animal.  You don't know, unless you've got references, if you are
going to be treated like an educated adult, an ignorant pet owner or Number
Fifteen Patient that day.  If it is an emergency care situation, you can
only hope you get a good vet.  However, if this is the vet you plan on
keeping your pets with, people must talk to, ask questions of, and get to
know the vet before treatment!  If you don't get the feeling you like them
on a human to human basis, how are you going to feel comfortable letting
them treat your babies?

Gina, I sincerely hope that you did not have to pay for the emergency
monitoring you took your baby to!  That vet should have to pay for that!
I also hope you write them a formal letter of complaint, and their parent
company if they have one.  What a horrible experience for you!  I hope your
fuzzbutt is okay.  Also, call the vet back and get the lot number of the
rabies vaccination for your records.  It could be a bad batch.

Julie