From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 1996 11:35:25 -0400
When I first saw Tineal, I honestly couldn't believe she was a ferret.  She
looked hairless from the tip of her tail to the top of her head.  On closer
inspection, I noticed a few tufts of hair here and there, but not enough to
even tell what color she was so for now she was "pink".  My major concern
was getting her from inside the mall to my car out in the bitterly cold NH
winter.

We had been following Tineal's story for several weeks.  She and her owner
lived in Mass.  where she was receiving treatment from a vet for a "skin
parasite".  The treatments had progressed to a series of shots to "treat
this chronic condition".  Now the vet was recommending euthanasia since the
disease was not responding to his treatments.

The owner was frantic.  She was unable to afford more treatments, but loved
the ferret so, that killing her was just not possible.  We suggested that
the symptoms sounded more like an adrenal tumor than "a skin parasite", but
it didn't matter.  The owner had no more money.

Many phone calls and nearly a month later we made arrangements to have
Tineal transferred to our shelter in NH through a third party.  We were to
meet in a nearby shopping mall, crowded with Christmas shoppers.

The transfer went quickly, with more than a few shoppers gawking at these
people with animal carriers transferring this strange looking "rat" (as I
heard a few call her.) Papers signed, Joan and I headed quickly for the
entrance.

Outside it was bitterly cold.  A strong wind was blowing sending the wind
chill, especially for a bald ferret, to well below zero.  I took Tineal out
of the carrier and put her inside of my heavy coat.  She felt, well
"strange", is the best way I can describe her, when I held her for the first
time.  Her skin felt soft but thin, and very warm.  I noticed her swollen
vulva confirming my opinion of an adrenal tumor.  She put up no fuss when I
stuffed her under my coat and zipped it up for the dash to the car.  Tineal
was content to remain there until the car warmed up and we could put her
back in the carrier for the trip home.

Although Tineal might not have looked like a ferret, once home she certainly
acted like one.  During the first hour she must have covered every square
foot of the house/shelter; sniffing, climbing, opening, crawling under or
over anything she could get to or into.  It was obvious that she was well
loved by her former owner, for Tineal loved to be held and cuddled.  She'd
lie in our arms for as long as we cared to hold her, snuggling down in our
arms with huge yawns and deep sighs.  She was a wonderful ferret -
everything one could want in a ferret except that she had no coat.

Dr. Dutton, our shelter's vet, does his non-emergency surgeries on Tuesdays.
We scheduled Tineal's the first chance we had.

Tineal went in early Tuesday morning.  The operation was uneventful, and a
large adrenal gland was removed.  Tineal came home late that same afternoon,
a little sore and a little groggy but anxious to re-explore the house just
to make sure that nothing changed during her absence.  Dr. Dutton had
advised us to keep her quite for a couple of day, but those of you who have
had ferrets that have gone through similar operations can imagine how
successful that was.

It was about three days later that I noticed that Tineal was covered with a
light gray "something".  You had to look carefully to see it in just the
right light; and, if you ran your fingers lightly over the skin, there were
a definite roughness there.  Tineal's coat was already growing back.

One week after the operation, there was no doubt, as Tineal became gray all
over.  By the end of the second week the coat was beginning to darken.  By
the end of the third week we knew that she was a dark sable.

The fourth week brought on some remarkable changes.  Tineal's coat was
nearly full - soft and long.  It's hard to describe just how her attitude
began to change.  She was perhaps even more affectionate than before -
actively seeking attention.  She was even "busier" than before.  But the
biggest change seemed to be the way she carried herself.  I may be
anthromorphizing more than a little here, but she walked "prouder" if that's
the word.  Her head seemed to be held higher; she seemed to walk taller; she
had more of a spring in her step; and oh how she could ferret dance.

Tineal hated having her coat mussed.  Play was one thing, but to go up to
her and "rough her fur" her brought on her "war dance", after which she
would groom herself all over, straightening each and every hair.  Tineal had
grown very very proud of her new coat.

Needless to say we grew very attached to Tineal as the weeks passed.  Tineal
was ready to find her new family, but we were very particular - much more
than normal - as to whom we would even introduce to Tineal.

We knew that Tineal was terrified of other animals and other ferrets, so
they'd have to have no other pets.  Tineal loved to roam, so they'd have to
be able to give her lots of free time outside of her cage.  Tineal was very
affectionate, so they'd have to have lots of time and lots of love to give
her.

It's funny the picture I had formed in my mind as to just what this ideal
family would be like.  They'd be an older couple, I thought, probably
retired, living in their own home.  Children all grown and gone.  Looking
for a pet that they could spoil.

Spring was fast approaching when we received a phone call from someone
looking for a ferret to adopt.  It was an Animal Control Officer in a nearby
community.

Now you have to realize that Joan and I have been fighting tooth and nail
against the NH Public Health, the Dept. of Agriculture on their stand
against ferrets.  We had launched a campaign to "educate" police and animal
control officers, and were fighting hard to get a Bill through the State
legislature to stop the exiting "kill and test" policy for ferrets involved
on a bite or scratch to a human.  Animal Control was one of our "enemies" as
far as we were concerned.  After all they were the ones who actually did the
killing.

Joan, who did the actual interview of this officer, said that she was
impressed.  He seemed to love animals and was very distressed at the state
policy on ferrets.  She invited him and his fiancee over for a face to face
interview.

They were a young couple, living in a pet-friendly apartment north of us.
One of the things I've learned to watch is the people's expressions when
they first walk into the shelter area of our home.  These faces seemed full
of delight; their eyes dancing from cage to cage then from fuzzy face to
fuzzy face.  A big sigh of wonderment clinched it.  These were "ferret
people".

We showed them all of the adoptable ferrets and most of our own.  Finally we
brought out Tineal.  It just seemed right.

For those of you who have felt it or seen it happen, you know what I'm
talking about.  You could feel the instant bonding.  Tineal gazed up at the
young woman's face and melted into her arms.  The young officer moved up
closer to his fiancee and wrapped one arm around her, as he stroked Tineal
with the other.  Tineal looked over at me as if to say, "These are my new
family.  I want to go home with them, please."

The adoption went all too quickly.  Papers signed.  Instructions given.
Cage and supplies purchased.  Tineal went to her new home.

We've kept in touch with the couple.  Tineal is hardly ever caged unless
their work requires both ofthem to be away from home.  The rest of the time
Tineal has full roam of her home and sleeps with them every night.  The
couple's one complaint?

Very tongue in cheek and with pride in his voice he told us, "Tineal had
taken all of our friends.  They don't come over to see us anymore.  They ask
to see Tineal as soon as we open the door.  Tineal has to greet everyone.
First, she does a welcome dance.  Then struts around to show them her
`beautiful coat'.  Then she has to be picked up and told how very pretty she
is.  After that she has to play with them until it's time for them to
leave."

Tineal has found a wonderful home.

Dick B.  - Support your local shelter