From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:45:18 -0500
Greetings for Sammy

The weather had turned cooler and there was hint of rain in the air as
Bridge Greeter No. 421 arrived at his post. He had been up late last
night and had overslept this morning. As he settled himself in his
greeting chair, he heard the soft melody of a lone guitar carried
along by the wind.

Just then Oliver, No. 421's, currier came running up to his boss.

"No. 421, where have you been. I'se been so worried about you. We has
a very special fella comin' in and the Receiving Angel said he has a
whole lot of relatives here. An No. 421, bend down here, I has to
whisper something to you, he has a gee tar. Do you know what that is?"

"Gee tar," said No. 421. "No I don't. Is that what I hear?" Where is
this boy, and what is his name?"

Oliver looked down at the skip he had been carrying. He smoothed it
out and began to read.

"It looks like Sssammy, yes that is his name, Sammy" Oliver said. "And
he plays a gee tar."

No. 421 and Oliver looked across the wooden bridge. There, walking
along the path, strumming a mournful tune, was a ferret wearing
fleece with pictures of the instrument he was strumming on it,

"Yo, who goes there?" No. 421 said.

"It's me, Sammy," the little ferret answered. "Where am I, and where is
my family? I keeps playing dis song, but Momma Nancy does not come."

"Hello Sammy," said No. 421. "I'm a Bridge Greeter, and this is my
currier Oliver. You have arrived at the Rainbow Bridge, and if you tell
us a little about yourself, maybe we can find your family."

"I left my family back in their house," Sammy said. "I was awful sick,
Mom Nancy gave me some Ferretvite and I guess I just slid all the way
here. I has my guitar, so I can make music, and that is all I know. My
buddy Socks is no where around, so I guess I left her back there too."

Oliver had been standing quietly on the sidelines, and now he motioned
to his boss to come over to the edge of the walkway. "No. 421, what
about that group of ferrets that tries to play at the edge of the
brook? Do you suppose they know this fella?"

No. 421 sent the currier to fetch some of the would-be musicians.
Lacey, Max, and Slinky came up with Oliver to see the new arrival.

"Hey Sammy, that you?" said Max. "Boy are we ever glad to see you.
We told the Big Boss we was missing your music, so He got us some
instruments, but danged if we can play anything."

Sammy said he would be glad to teach them, and then, putting his toes
to the strings, he played a melody low and sweet.

Turning to No 421 he asked if he could send a message to his Mom Nancy.
He wanted her to know he had arrived safe and was not alone.

No. 421 called the Gentle Breeze and asked her to take the melody Sammy
was playing and bring it home to Nancy and Socks. As Sammy strummed a
tune, Gentle Breeze listened very closely.

"Mr. No. 421, I think I can do what you ask," said Gentle Breeze. "I
will put Sammy's song in the tree tops, and in the morning bird's song.
I can send it to Momma Nancy in the evening when the firefly picks up
the beat, blinking out a rhythm. That way, Sammy's song will be in her
heart forever."

The Gentle Breeze dropped a kiss on Sammy's head and said she would
look forward to hearing more of his music.

Lacey, Max and Slinky could hardly wait to take Sammy to their home.
Now there could be music at the Bridge. The four ferrets hurried down
to their mound, Sammy was already considered family. They wanted to
tell the others that now they could start a real band.

No. 421 looked at Oliver who was standing there with the receiving
ticket still in his hand. He wiped a tear from his eye. He loved music,
and now, he would be able to listen to it as he did his chores. He had
not heard any music like that since his days on earth at the Ferret
Breeders Farm. When they came to clean cages, they had a box that
ferrets, like Sammy, must have lived in and played tunes. It brought
back old memories.

That night, he wrote in his logbook, Sammy is here with his family, he
is happy and singing his song.