From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:37:10 -0600
It isn't that ferrets shouldn't have dairy products, rather that when they
don't get them on a regular basis they become lactose intolerant.  My first
ferrets and their litters loved their daily milk/baby cereal warm treat
and the ones that stayed with me never became lactose intolerant as they
received the supplement daily.  For our ferrets that come to us in later
years and have not had milk products, I started them on minimal amounts of
the supplement and increased it slowly.  If diarrhea started, I backed the
amount off a bit and increased more slowly.  Each ferret was different.
The only problem is trying to eat ice cream in peace!

I've also found that fresh pasturized goats milk is easier on their little
systems.  Be aware that goats milk may taste different depending on the
type of goat and what the goat eats.  Our goats milk tastes very similar
to cows milk but a bit more creamy.  Yummmy.

hugs. tle