From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:42:18 -0400

You will find a LOT about this topic in the files of the webpage above.

If not all the tissue of both adrenals comes out then supplementation may
not be needed or may be needed for only a short time.

If they fully come out, or if one is atrophied and the other comes out,
then there is the Florinef and Pred routine or the Percorten(?) and Pred
one.  The Pred helps regulate fluids and the others regulate electrolytes
and can be used inter-changeably depending on what best suits the
individual ferret.  Very little Prednisone is used; small enough that you
typically must use already-diluted Pediapred and very little of that .
There have been ferrets very long term (4 years and over) on Florinef and
Pred routine.  We have seen no diminishing of quality of life in ferrets
here during the time that they are on these meds.  The 5 year old one we
have had on the routine still is found 8' in the air after a climbing
session.  When such meds are needed they will sink without them and then
will die.

Unless you know for sure that Rocket will not groom her incision and
possibly remove stitches, and will not lie atop her, or try to get her to
play roughly keep them separated.  Continue soups, or baby food or a/d
mixed with warm water to a bit above body temp.  Provide warm bedding.
Do not let her climb.  Use newspaper for waste rather than normal litter,
or instead use a newspaper derived litter and a litter pan that is
designed for easy entry such as some smooth and low-entry ones found at
http://www.theferretstore.com or some neighborhood pet shops.

If you search in the FML archive under post-op you should find some fine
tips; there is also a past issue of "Modern Ferret" with fine ones from
Alicia, and I would not be at all surprised if there are some in Mary and
Eric's recent book or in Kim's _Ferrets for Dummies_ which is an incredible
book for anyone.  (Hey, we have a copy and we have had ferrets for 19
years; it covers a lot and does so very well.  When my sister who knows
squat about ferrets had one recently dumped on her Steve and I sent Kim's
book and Mary and Eric Shefferman's down to her along with supplies and
some vet money till she can get herself set well enough.)

Oh, and check those stitches daily; some remove their own stitches and then
the vet will safely glue them with surgical glue.  Also make sure that you
see no signs of post-op infection.

We have (so far) never lost one in surgery or post-operatively and the
first ferret surgery we dealt with was maybe 17 years ago, maybe 18, and
we deal with a number of them regularly, including some major ones, so the
tips work.