From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:59:11 -0800
I was going to post something funny yesterday, but I have literally been
through hell with my little (3.5 lb.)boy, Dopey.

Last week, I posted that my vet had to re-descent my little Cleo because
he did not go far enough into the muscle to remove all of the scent gland
(this is not the correct terminology, but I don't want to type more than
necessary).  Cleo is fine, but then I realized that Dopey was still poofing
even though it had been a month since his surgery.  Back to the vet we
go...

Dopey had his "corrective" surgery yesterday and I picked him up and
brought him home.  He was still groggy from the anesthetic but ok and his
rear looked fine.  He went to sleep and I decided to check on him about an
hour later.  Low and behold, a pool of blood, and blood literally squirting
out from his stitches.  I freaked out and called the vet to arrange an
emergencey visit (this was at 7:15, they close at 7:00 so I was fortunate
he was still there).  We rushed Dopey in, and I was told that the area
where the gland had been removed, had an enlarged hematoma (sp?) and that
the pressure had built up so that the blood started seeping out his
sutures.  His heartbeat was normal and gums were normal color, so the vet
told me he would keep him overnight and put him on ice packs (this I would
like to see) and monitor him.  He also gave him some Prednisone for the
swelling.  Needless to say - NO SLEEP FOR ME!

We picked Dopey up this morning, and he looks so awful!  His entire rear is
swollen and badly bruised (looks like a truck hit him).  I was told that he
would probably sleep alot for the next couple of days.  He is on the feline
A/D wet diet until he is "in the clear" for bowel movements.  I feel
absolutely terrible about this and I am very upset that two surgeries
were necessary for both of my ferrets.  Keep in mind that this vet has
performed many descents and several adrenalectomys.  He is the most
ferret-knowledgeable vet I have dealt with in Washington (that number
includes four others).  I am freaking out over this and fear that Dopey
will never be the same and that he is "damaged" internally.  Yes, this is
my fault, I NEVER should have had this done to him and it probably would
have been better to just find another home for him where the spouse is
more tolerant of ferret poofing.  I AM TAKING FULL RESPONSIBILITY for this.
I have been crying all day over this decision and what I have caused my
little guy, who is so sweet.  I will never forgive myself for this.

I like my vet, he is very caring and I "grilled him" over ferret stuff -
he knows it well.  This was simply a mistake and he freely admits to it.
He has not charged me for any of this extended care and visits.  He has
apologized profusely and has stated that he hopes this does not change my
opinion of his abilities.

Now, one of the ferret vets that was recommended to me by several people,
made a major mistake and almost cost my first ferret its life.  She had a
very big ego and would not apologize or admit any wrong-doing and actually
told me that she would help out but that I would still have to pay for the
care.  Herein lies the difference between a good vet and a bad vet.  Good
vets can admit a mistake and do their best to fix it, plus offer some
compassion.

As for my husband, he thinks I should find another vet.  What are your
opinions on this and has anyone gone through a similar dilemma?

If Dr. Williams could also address what has happened to my little Dopey, I
would appreciate the feedback and please let me know if prednisone and amox
are a good combination for treatment.  Also, is A/D good enough for the
next couple days or should I try to make some gravy?

I am very upset and concerned.  I am at fault, I feel guilty and terrible.
Please be kind.  This was the biggest mistake I have made regarding
ferrets.  Descenting should NEVER be done unless there is an impaction or
medical necessity.  Ferrets smell, and that is the trade off to having the
privledge of their company.  I realize it, my husband also sees the light
and I have never seen him move as fast as he did last night.  He was
practically crying at the vet's office.

To Troy Lynn: I cannot tell you how sorry I am at the passing of Dezzie.
You are such an asset to the ferret community and do so much for these
animals.  In my opinion, two hours would not have made much difference, it
was Dezzie's time to go.  You did not cause this.  Dezzie had an excellent
life with you just as so many ferrets have.  Please, take care in knowing
this.  I appreciate all the support you provide to others, and your
excellent knowledge.  The articles you write for ferrets magazine are so
informative.

By the way, if you have not picked up the Jan/Feb issue of Ferrets, it is
a good one.  The ferret photo contest has some really adorable pictures
submitted by some FML members.  I very much enjoyed these.

Well, my weekend is in the "crapper" and all I can do is monitor my little
boy to make sure he is as comfortable as possible.  Why?  Why?  Why?

Thanks everyone for listening.  Thank you Dr. Williams for all of your
great medical knowledge - a true blessing to all of us.  I wish you lived
in my state.