From:
DMae Binkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:49:48 -0800
I have two ferrets: one little sable female, just over a year old, and an
albino male, just under a year.

I have read that they shed twice a year with the change of spring and fall.
I have also read that shedding can be an indication of adrenal disorders.
Is there any way to tell the two types of shedding apart?  Should all
ferrets in a household be shedding at the same time?  Do they shed just
their undercoat or the guard hairs as well?  Do we (the humans) know what
triggers the shedding cycle (light, temperature, etc.?)

Poly, the albino, is a blizzard of shedding hair.  We can barely touch him
without huge fluffs flying through the air.  He is eating and processing
his food well.  He is playful and as "weevil" (evil weasel for short) as
ever.

Slinky, the sable, is not shedding at all.  Both are up to date with their
vet in terms of physical check-ups and shots.

We live in Fairbanks, Alaska, where spring is a loooong way off.  If poor
old Polar Bear keeps this up, there will not be much more bounding through
the snow unless I invest in a down coat for him..

Thanks for any information

I appreciate the list.  I have learned so much from all of you.

DMae