From:
SELENA SIMONETTI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 11:00:12 -0400
I made some inquires about ferrets to a vet that my dog goes to and he
handed me this pamplet on ferret and laws in Michigan.  I thought it was
important and I thought you owners of fuzzbeans needed to see it
(especially any Michiganers).  Please forgive me, it is a touch long.
        FERRET BITES TO PEOPLE
Since the recent legalization of ferrets in Michigan, the Michigan
department of Public Health (MDPH), had recieved many telephone calls
from physicians, vetrinarians local health departments and animal control
agencies asking what needs to be done with a ferret that has bitten a
person.  The MDPH has not changed its policy regarding ferret bites to
people.  When  a ferret bites a person, we advise that the animal be
immedietely euthanized and tested for rabies, regardless of its rabies
vaccination status.  In contrast to dogs and cats, the period of rabies
virus shedding in the ferret, prior to the onset of clinical signs, has
not been established for the ferret.  Informing ferret owners of this
policy may help to avoid confusion if a bite occurs.  As a reminder,
ferret bites should be reported to local health jurisdiction where the
bite occured, and if different, the local health jurisdiction where the
(human) patient resides.
        I thought the last line was cute,  there are no ferret patients
if a ferret bites a human.  And where else would it reside but with it's
owner?  In a condo in florida? Some ferrets would like that I think<VBG>
All kidding aside, I thought this was important.
I have changed my e-mail address, so please mail me privately if you wish
at the address below.
Selena Simonetti