From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:06:11 EST
for setting up the shelter for ADV positive ferrets - I think you missed
something from the press release.  The shelter is only accepting ADV
positive ferrets from bona fide ferret shelters, not breeders and ferret
owners.  As a breeder, I am on my own.  And quite honestly, I do not have a
problem with this.  I consider every ferret my business has produced to be
my personal responsibility.  When I was selling kits, my contract stated
that if the buyer could not keep the ferret for any reason, it was to come
back to me.  Under *no* circumstances was a ferret from my business ever
to be turned over to a shelter.  The shelters do a wonderful job, but they
are overburdened enough with out having to care and provide for ferrets I
produced.

So, if there were political reasons for setting up the ADV shelter, they
were not so breeders and pet owners could turn over their ADV positive
animals and continue going to shows.

Just wanted that point clarified.
Danee DeVore