From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 19:21:08 -0600
RE: Samantha Rosier <[log in to unmask]>
In your posting June 5th, you wrote about a *vicious* female ferret.

In my experience with a variety of animals, one possibility kept creeping
around in the back of my mind: is it possible that the previous owner of
this particular ferret trained her to attack people (or other animals) at
this particular or similar sound, or perhaps did she respond badly to a
normal sound due to previous mistreatment?

There are many articles that talk of pavlovian associations made with
various sounds in order to make an animal behave a certain way.  Good
(coming for food, herding sheep, answering doorbells and ringers for the
deaf and hard of hearing, etc.) as well as the bad.

With the number of abused animals that exist in today's society, and not
being able to see and raise them from birth, one never really knows what
one is getting into or what these poor creatures have gone through.

Four years ago I took in a cat who's hair was completely matted down who
was thin but extremely friendly.  After getting him home and giving him
five baths (he was obviously sleeping under cars - the oil smell was bad
and the bath water was black every time!  - actually to this day I am
amazed that he took it for so long!) I realized that this cat had gone
through some tough times.  Although the vet said he was only nine months
old, something had happened to him in his short little life.  He did not
know how to play.  Whenever you brought your hand near to him he would
swipe at it.  Whenever you dragged a piece of string or toy in front of his
face, his ears would lie flat and the growling would begin... just before
he tore your hand open.

It was clear then that he could not be won over by hitting of any kind
(light smack on the bum - please no flames - smacks in my household are VERY
rare if practically non-existent!) nor could I use a loud voice.  It took
time and patience and alot of soothing talk and soft pats of his paws.  A
year later, some friends of mine saw this "wild beast" and could not believe
the transformation he had taken on.  This same cat now plays everyday with
everything as well as the other three cats and three of the four ferts who
co-habitate with me.  Toom has become a most sweet and adorable cat.

I am at present on a ferret adoption list with conditions: if the SPCA
finds a ferret to be "unadoptable" I will take him/her right away.  And let
me add at this point there is no such thing as an unadoptable ferret in my
vocabulary.  All of those so called "unadoptables" learned with love and
kindness that life is not so bad and that there is life after being dumped
and abandoned by irresponsible humans.

Your little female fuzzy is now in your good hands (lucky girl) - don't be
afraid - she is only doing what is "natural" to her at this point.

Best of luck

Betty and Toom (from the depths of hell and back again!)
Mandy, Ming and Tetsu - the cats from where its ats
Ripley - the 21+ year old tarantula with no attitude
Leha, Sidney, Tilly, Chloe, Zoe, Rizzo, Yar, Posey - the finch gang
Chook and Taero - "the fertwerks"
Tinder - "Still hanging in there!"
Bear - "my buddy is so puffy!"