From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 19:14:26 -0500
Hi!  I just wanted to take a moment to toss in my $.02 regarding a few
recent questions.

DOG BISCUITS
>is it safe to feed her a small dog biscuit?

Certainly a dog biscuit here and there as a _treat_ won't hurt.

CAGE PADS
>... but my parents started using puppy training pads to housebreak their
>puppy.  It was then that I noticed their absobancy power.  Unfortunately,
>these pads contain a smell to encourage the puppies to use I was wondering
>if there was a pad, like this, that I could use for the bottom of the kid's
>cage.

As embarassing as it may be, go to any grocery or drug store and buy
incontinence pads for people.  You can purchase the bed size and cut them
(usually in half) to fit very nicely in the bottom of the cage or in those
favorite corners.

URINARY PROBLEM
>she would go to the bathroom and it was in little "dribbles".  she did this
>probably three times in about an hour.

Please do take her to the vet as she may have either a urinary tract
infection (detectable via urinalysis) or urinary bladder stones (visible on
an x-ray).  You will need to talk to your vet about the best possible way to
collect a sample or he/she may be able to take a sample in the office.

OBLINA QUESTIONS
>I was wondering just how bad is this (the kitten chow purina)

It's probably not the greatest food that you could be feeding her to be
honest.  Try to find a food with at least 34% protein and 18% fat that _does
not_ have corn or fish within the first few ingredients listed on the
package.  Many folks (including myself) recommend Totally Ferret (available
by mail order if not in a local store; contact me for details).  Other
higher quality ferret foods include Mazuri, Marshalls, Sheppard and Green,
and (pet store) 8 in 1 among others.  The Kaytee ferret food commonly found
in pet stores is not highly recommended.  You also might feed her a high
quality kitten food, e.g.  Innova, Iams, etc.  Many folks feed their ferrets
a blend of foods.

>She now sleeps in my sofa

Eeee!  Just watch out for those sofa springs.  They can be lethal,
particularly if someone sits on the sofa while she's in there!

>Also, has anyone had any problems with ferrets going into chipmunk holes
>and not coming back?

Any time that you take her outside, you should keep her on a leash.  Some of
the shelters sell wonderful harness sets, or you can purchase one through
the local pet store.  Ferts can run mighty quickly when they have a mind to
and are easily lost for good outside.  Otherwise, let her enjoy snuffling in
those holes!

Cheers all,
Gina the Monkeywrangler
and the Chimps of Mayhem:  Paleface (Bean), Gunnar the Red (Goose), Daniel
Spikey Tiger (Spike), Beau Geste (Bo Bo), Harriet (Hawwiet) and Wienerbutt
(Weenie)