From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:53:51 -0700
I know several people have brought up the idea of holding some kind
of raffle to help an individual offset the cost of attending the
International Ferret Symposium in Atlanta-or other future IFC events.
As one of the Co-Directors of the IFC I wanted to take a minute to
address this issue.

While it sounds like a wonderful idea on the surface, we tend to think
this would be far more difficult than it sounds.  The IFC committee had
actually discussed doing something similar.  We would love for everyone
to be able to attend all the events we are planning but realize this
just isn't possible.  So if someone wants to attempt to organize some
kind of raffle, please feel free to do so, but the IFC will not be able
to endorse it or be a part of it in any way.

What I would like to see instead is people helping people.  For past
events, I have paid registration fees so others I knew couldn't attend
the event otherwise, would be able to go.  I have helped with airfare
and even paid for a room or two.  If you know of someone who wants to go,
but cannot meet the costs, offer to help them.  And rather than spend
your hard-earned money on a raffle, put that money in an envelope in your
underwear drawer.  If you start saving now, you may be able to attend a
future event that might be a little closer to where you live.

Another way to cut costs is to share a room with someone!  I know people
who attended the Vegas Symposium and roomed with people they had only met
via the Internet-and they ended up having a great time and forming great
friendships!

And car pool!  If you're planning on driving....see if someone on your
route could use a lift.  I picked Rebecca McFarlane up to go to the
Toronto event and we had the best time!  We talked ferrets the whole
way up and back!  It was great!

My personal wish would be to make these events free to everyone but the
reality is, unfortunately, that these events are very, very expensive to
put on.  So...if you have attended a past symposium and you know someone
who would really benefit by attending but who is not in a financial
position to be able to attend....offer to help them out!  The ferret
community is one of the strongest and most giving communities in the
world....so lets help each other!

Judy Cooke
Co-Director IFC