From:
Jaden Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:29:00 -0800
Hugs & Dooks to all!

There have been alot of posts on the unbecoming statements from Ben
Stiller in regards to being nipped by a ferret in the movie Along came
Polly.  There was a post to contact his agent in regards to the comments
made by Mr. Stiller and I for one responded to that with the following
letter.  I believe that Mr. Stiller is like millions of people out there
who need to be educated on ferrets....this is how we win the war over the
misconception of them being stinky, rats, weasels...vicious..etc.  Only
through education will more people be aware of what awsome little animals
they are and how much joy and love they give to their humans.  I urge
everyone on the list to have compassion for Mr. Stiller who quite
obviously is under educated about our wonderful fuzzbutts and take the
opportunity to write to his agent and educate him and hopefully his
client.

My letter to Mr. Stillers agent:

Dear Mr. Stevens,

Needless to say I was extremely upset and disappointed over the recent
comments of Ben Stiller in regards to ferrets.  I have been owned by a
ferret for the past 3 years and was dismayed that someone who has access
to the public would promote the hate of one animal....Please ask Mr.
Stiller to do some research on these wonderful animals and pets....does
he know that they are used in Animal Assisted Therapy programs with
the elderly, with children with autism, and in nursing homes.  Animal
assisted therapy is one way that ferrets give back to the human race
and has been documented as a relief to pain and suffering....it is
unfortanate that Mr. Stiller was bitten, or nipped, but I wonder what
precipatated this nip...was the ferret overstimulated...(cats will nip
when you wrestle with them), was he frightened, was he tired from a long
shoot....whatever the case, he may just have been playing.  I urge Mr.
Siller to educate himself about ferrets and direct him to the FML
archives.  He will find loads of information along with many rescues
that have occured all over the US and Canada, and also the horrible
abuses inflicted upon these animals...the site address for the FML
archives is as follows:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
http://users.1st.net/hammock/ferrets/fml.htm

Please also extend an invitation for Mr. Stiller to contact me as I
would love to introduce him to my boy Spaz, whom I sure would be able
to educate Mr. Stiller on love, gentleness, happiness & alot of comic
relief.

Sincerely
Kate Mckinley & Spaz
Canada