From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:46:38 -0800
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Bob C: Q-N-A: Insulinoma Question

So Bob, where you watching those 'dirty' movies about the wee folks to
see that Fairy's tail?

>Still, I think this is a good topic for debate.  Any other opinions?

Um... erm...

Hard to dispute your opinions here.  Pretty much in line with what we've
thought for a while too.

Though we are of a mixed mind on the early neutering.  Reduction in
aplastic anemia deaths in jills may be worth any other problems from the
early spays.  We'd still like to see the time wasted in whining about
Marshall Farms spent more productively in working on changing the laws
about when ferret kits can be shipped and sold.  If that were pushed back
a bit than the neutering could likewise be pushed back albeit only a small
amount.

But heavens, you admit that people need to consider the environment the
ferret is in.  Its hard to admit that perhaps we aren't doing the best
by our ferrets but for their sake we should really consider that maybe
ferrets need different care than we might be providing them.

>From:    Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: getting blood
>I regret we cannot speak fluently in 'ferret'.  I feel however that I did
>successfully translate the extended excruciating screams which occured
>during a few clippings.  Not all, just a few.  For me, if only one out of
>a hundred, it's too many.

I'd say 1% of ferrets screaming in what they think is agony is worth it to
perhaps save the lives of those hundred and more.  But is that one percent
screaming in agony like our little pom dog that absolutely scream as if his
life is being pulled out when we even point the clippers or syringes at
him.  Long before they touch him so its obviously not from pain.

We need perspective on whether a few's pain is worth the many's gain <oh a
groaner>

We need perspective on the real amount of pain as well.

>Lets translate that to human terms.  Let's size up the sample according to
>the ratio of body weights.

The amount of blood needed for a test isn't proportional to the amount of
blood in the body.  Whats needed is enough blood to run the test - the same
amount of blood from any sized animal probably.  So the math doesn't apply.

>Why don't we all try getting a CC of blood from our owm fingernails and
>report our experiences ?

If our fingernails were a close match to the ferrets nails that might be
worth considering.  But they aren't.

Isn't poking the end of the finger with a lancette a common way to get a
drop of blood as a sample of blood from a human?  Foot pads on ferrets are
not like our fingertips.  So is nipping the quick more like that lancette
perhaps?  We are certainly far from the experts.

And we certainly do feel that the vets at United Vaccines ARE qualified to
talk about this far more than we are.

b&d
--
bill and diane killian