From:
"E.M. Ennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:01:57 -0400
Greetings.
I'm about a week behind on my FML readings and feel completely out of
touch with the current debates.  Glad to see that most of the
controversial-antagonistic stuff has died out... of course since I'm
working BACKWARDS through the last 9 days I've probably got some waiting
for me.  :)

ECE: Someone posted about having 10 ferrets, several of which had come down
with ECE and s/he feared that the remaining clan was next and that there
would be a non-stop cycle of ECE infection in the home.  I don't have an
answer, but I do have a question.  If ECE is viral (which it almost
certainly is) and the ferret is able to produce antibodies against the
virus to attack any reinfection (i.e. a ferret that recovers from ECE will
never get a full blown case of ECE again), would it not be possible to
create a vaccine against ECE?  Yes, I realize that the research and
financial hurdles are difficult to overcome for any form of medical
research; my question is 'is it possible' not necessarily 'is it likely
to happen.'

Richmond, VA: I believe I have the place correct.  Those of you living in
the Richmond area should be on the lookout for a Dr. Tracy Bell.  Our
beloved ferret vet has left Vermont and moved her family to Virginia.  Her
old practice didn't know the name of her new employer, but if you can track
her down, I highly recommend her.  She may not have all the answers, but
she doesn't hesistate to admit that fact and she's consulted with Dr.
Dutton (Weare, NH) on numerous occasions when she needs advice.  She loves
ferrets and on several occasions we behind the back of her employer and
gave us discounts and 'free-stuff.' If you do track her down, tell her Erin
and Laura (from Vermont) sent ya!

Apologies to E.L.: Ed, I didn't ignore your rebuttal and questions re:
genetic theory and MF's driving the domestic ferret to extinction.  I've
been out of town finishing up some fisheries research for the last week and
haven't been able to accomplish anything FML-related in that time.  I'll
reply directly to you since I have no desire to reignite a debate that at
this point has virtually no ferret-related component to it.

Petromalt 'treat?': To finish on a more humo(u)rous note, has anyone
observed the caching response in a ferret that's given Petromalt?  Gillian
(who's making slooow progress with her biting) has decided that this is not
a treat to be enjoyed at the time it's given.  She'll take a few licks, make
a face like she's been fed a lemon (i.e. Elvis Lip) and run under the sofa
ditch the 'stash' in a corner.  It's a mess to get out of the carpet, but a
riot to see.

                               -Erin...

   Mr. Erin M. Ennis    |       Any sufficiently convoluted argument can
 eennis(at)zoo,uvm,edu  |       be made to appear to be science as the
 Water Resources Major, |       layman equates incomprehensibility with
     Biology Minor      |       science.                -Unknown
    Uni. of Vermont     |