From:
Barbara A Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:04:46 -0500
Well, after watching Pepper get over the gate for months now, Cal has
finally figured out how to join him!  Eeeeeek!  Now I have TWO ferrets loose
in the house during romp time!  Oh my.  I'd covered the plastic mesh of the
baby gate with duct tape.  That worked for almost 10 years.  Until Cal.
He's discovered he can sink his claws into the tape and just climb up and
out!  *deep sigh* The worst part is, Cal is my hyperactive little guy who
NEVER gives up.  Usually after an hour or so the other ferrets have found a
nice spot to go to sleep.  Usually ferret round-up is pulling fuzzies from
their favorite spots and putting them back in the cage.  Except for Cal.
Cal never gets tired, never gives up.  Last night I found *lots* of stuff
moved that Pepper never bothers.  Geeze.  I guess I'm going to have to give
my hubby a push and have him make me some kind of higher, slippery gate!

I really wish I could let them all run through the house.  Cal really loves
it (the cats don't because now they really don't have many places to hide).
Cal likes to push things around with his nose (I find it adorable).  It
looks like he was pushing (and unrolling) a roll of toilet paper ... it was
unrolled all over my bedroom!  How do other people do it?  Are you guys
really THAT neat that you don't have things the ferrets run off with lying
about?

Also, Pepper has gotten outside the house 3 times in two weeks!  *>scream<*
I'm so scared he's going to wander off.  So far I've been lucky in that he's
stayed within 10 feet of the door.  My back door has problems latching and
sometimes we think it's closed when it isn't.  The kids have problems
shutting it tightly.  I would be devastated if anything happened to him!
I've had to turn into Gestapo Mom, yelling at everyone to make SURE that
door is SHUT TIGHT.  Geeze.

--Barb--
and the TWO escapees
Barbara Carlson                   Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
[log in to unmask]           Work: (412) 268-1342 Home: (412) 481-5927
 http://www.gsia.cmu.edu/andrew/bcarlson/home.html (under construction)
Thought for the day:
    If "boring women have immaculate homes," I must be very interesting!