From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 10 May 1994 11:41:24 -0400
I find that ferrets are very good about traveling in the car. I have taken mine
on numerous five hour trips to New York; sometimes they scratch to get out of
the carrier, but after a little while, they fall asleep. I always let them have
normal access to food and water. Also, I make a stop at MacDonald's and as a
treat, give them each one french fry. (Probably not a good idea on a regular
basis, but it's one of those strange foods that ferrets seem to love.)

I would be very careful about several things:

*Always* keep them in a carrier. Ferrets can get under the brake pedal, into
the seat upholstery, etc. You know how ferrets are--I find that having loose
ferrets in the car can be very dangerous!

Also, they are *extremely* sensitive to heat. I had a very bad experience
several years ago driving on a hot summer day. I thought that Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy
was going to overheat. I ended up pulling off the road somewhere in
Connecticut, cooling him down with wet towels, and waiting a few hours till the
sun went down before I resumed my trip. Of course this was a Sunday afternoon;
at the time I didn't know whether or not ferrets were legal in Connecticut, if
I would be able to find a vet, etc. It was very frightening. Since then I only
travel early am or later in the day if it's hot out.

I have never stayed in a motel with mine, but I find that when I am visiting
relatives or friends, I need to watch them every second (the ferrets, that is)
as they absolutely *must* explore the entire house, then they're so wiped out
that they fall asleep in some obscure place. Better to keep an eye on them when
they're out of their carrier than to have to tear apart the hotel room or
wonder if they got out through a hole in the wall or something.  But all in
all, they're wonderful travelers.

Have a good trip!

Cinderella's Mom