From:
Nancy Stenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:42:03 -0600
My experience with distemper vaccines seems to be the opposite of most.  I
have experienced reactions to Galaxy but never to Fervac (which we've used
much less).  Here are the details for those interested:

The vet we've been going to since getting our first ferret 6 years ago
always vaccinates with Galaxy, because of the reaction rate with Fervac.
We now have four ferrets, and two who were adopted from a previous owner
came with their own supply of Fervac, so we used that for a year when we
had it.  The vet agreed to vaccinate with it, after making sure we knew
about the reaction possibilities, and we had no problems, but when the
Fervac ran out, it was back to Galaxy.  Now, three of the ferrets have
never had a problem with either vaccine, but our four-year old, Cyclone
has had reactions to Galaxy ever since his second vaccination.  The last
time we almost lost him, even with pretreatment, and the vet suggested
non-vaccination as an option.  Not comfortable with that, I took him to
another vet who, with all the usual precautions, vaccinated him with
Fervac.  No reaction.  So Cy at least will get Fervac from now on.
Haven't decided yet whether to shift the others or not.

Nancy

--
Nancy Stenson
Institute of Linguistics, ESL, and Slavic Languages and Literatures

Phone: (612) 624-2529
email:  [log in to unmask]