From:
Lori Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:16:00 -0400
In the July/August 1999 issue of The American Ferret Report, we listed the
programming schedules for two shows on Animal Planet entitled "The Ferret."
Unfortunately, many people who stayed home to watch the programs or who set
their VCRs to tape were disappointed to find that the shows featured the
Black-footed Ferrets and for only a few minutes.  The AFA was equally
surprised.  Sally Heber, AFA Treasurer, has provided the following
information about AFA's contacts with Animal Planet.

  ---
On numerous occasions, our members contact the Animal Planet to request
that they air some factual segments on the domestic ferret as we feel their
programming is greatly lacking for this very popular pet species!  Their
response was to tell our members that they DO shows with ferrets and their
response to their requests was to continually cite the airing of the
particular segments that were posted in the AFR.  This is even after
outlining requests for Animal Planet to cover a championship ferret show
and general pet care items such as nutrition, housing, toys, playtime, etc.

I, like you, took out time in the middle of a crazy schedule (with ferrets,
how could it be anything but crazy!) and was very disappointed in the
Animal Planet's programming and customer relations staff that they didn't
seem to know that there is a significant difference in the wild animal,
the Black Footed Ferret, and the domestic ferret that is kept as a pet all
over the U.S. and the world.

If you would please assist AFA's efforts to get more positive publicity
for our ferrets and contact the Animal Planet at this email address
([log in to unmask]) and voice your concerns about their lack
of factual programming on the domestic ferret.  It may be beneficial to
once again point out to them that you are referring to the domestic ferret
(Mustela putorius furo) NOT the endangered Black-footed Ferret (mustela
nigripes).

Thank you so much for your time!
Sally Heber

  ---
Lori Barber
Managing Editor
The American Ferret Report
www.ferret.org
E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]