From:
Steve & Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 18:10:42 EST
Jenny,

It's Friday the 20th; I called long distance and left some
reference titles and their NIH numbers with Dr. Grigor's
office before 9 since sometimes such a call startles folks
and gets better attention.  Below is the same data for you
and for any others who are pursuing legalization efforts
or a setting of more balanced standards in cases of bites.
Katie got them to me some time ago.  Thanks, Katie!  I am
certain that Troy Lynn's packet has even more useful
information, but haven't received that, yet (Check cleared
so it should arrive anytime, I hope.)
1.  A U.S. study underway which is partly funded by the
Morris Animal Foundation and which we put a chunk
into (which is how our ferrets got to share some pages
with Llama Associations, Kennel Clubs, and the like in
the donors' lists).  (MAF:  1-800-243-2345 for donations,
or for inquiries by professionals in the field ONLY, please.
Yes, we'd also like to know how things are progressing,
but know how busy things can be and how every coin
has to stretch so we haven't personally asked for the
numbers or addresses of the project researchers. Things
do take time to do right with reasonable certainty.)
2.  NIH 92-26, Zbl Vet Med B, 1979; 26:26-38
(translation by Ted Crump)
U. Forster, State Veterinary Examination Office,
Frankfort/Main; Feb. 1978
The Adaptability of two Rabies Virus Strains Isolated in
Central Europe to one Domesticated and two Wild-Living
Species.  A Contribution to the Epidemiology of Rabies
Part 4:  Transmission Studies on Ferrets with a Rodent
Isolate
3.  NIH 91-444, Rev Med Vet 1982; 133 (8-9): 553-557
NIH translation:
Experimental Rabies in the Ferret (Mustela [putorius] furo)
Susceptibility - Symptoms - Excretion of Virus
4.  American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 9, #3
Bell and Moore, 1971
I don't have it handy to see title but it is on trials to see
which species can contract rabies orally.

        Steve, Sukie, Meltdown, Ruffle, 'Chopper,
        Spot, Meeteetse, and Warp
transmission to