From:
"FRITZ, GINA M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:44:00 EDT
I was wondering if there was someone who would be able to answer some
questions for me.  I took my girls to one of the ferret vets I found on the
STAR Ferret List.  First let me say I was very impressed with her.  I have
two other vets and neither vet ever checked my girls out the way this vet
did.  Not that my other two vets are bad, I am not sure how much they know
about ferrets.

All the tests (stool/ear mites) came out negative.  Eyes, temp., nose, toes
and bodies are good.  The only thing was my one ferret, Dallas, has tartar
build up.  This is the main reason why I made the appointment in the first
place.  There was black stuff on her back teeth.  The vet said it wasn't bad
because it hasn't reached the gums yet.  She recommended that they be
cleaned.

She said because it wasn't bad they might be able to do it with Dallas
awake.  I asked if she would get hurt if she wiggled and moved.  The vet
said no, its like a high powered water gun.  She is going to get wet.

The other option is to put her under anesthesia.  They would first do a
pre-surgical blood test, use Isoflurane Gas and a trak (sp?  - The tube down
the throat).

Now there is definitely a difference in price but that is not my concern.
My concern is: Is this procedure safe?  Is she using the right gas?  Should
I have her try it with Dallas awake FIRST, and if that doesn't work then put
her under?  Has anyone every had this done?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Gina