Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:52:02 EDT
Hi,

I saw the post regarding adding pumpkin to Bob' Chicken Gravy.  I also
have ferrets with IBD and the pumpkin really does help to firm up the
stool.  I mix it with 2 cans of turkey baby food, 1/2 can of Science Diet
A/D, 1/2 can of Science Diet I/D, 1 scoop of Nupro Ferret Supplement, a
dash of Ferretone and salt, and 1 ml of Pet Tinic.

Please note, however, that I recently took my Angel in for a full
urinalysis because I suspected a UTI, and for a routine blood profile.
She's 6.5 years old, so I spend most of my time worrying about her and
her two geriatric "siblings", Molly and Fozzie.

The local vet, not my regular ferret vet, looked at the results and asked
me what I was feeding her.  When I told him about the pumpkin soup, he
said that explained why her urine was so alkaline.  Carnivores are
supposed to have acidic urine.  Apparently pumpkin has the opposite
effect that cranberry juice has.  Cranberries make the urine more acidic
and less hospitable to bacteria.  Alkaline urine is actually a very
friendly environment for bacteria to grow, and I think I've read that it
allows for crystal formation that could possibly cause urethral blockage.
Anyone with ferrets that are prone to UTI's or any other UT type of
problem and are feeding this diet, should be adding a urine acidifier to
the mix.  This vet recommended Methiagel...it's like Nutrical.  In
Angel's case, I just make her a separate soup without the pumpkin now,
since she doesn't have IBD.  She has always been incontinent due to
ectopic ureters, and had one kidney removed in an attempt to solve the
problem...it's a long story.  Anyway, since her UT is somewhat "open", I
didn't want to take any chances.

In case you were wondering why I add salt to the soup?  Angel told
Lorelei Hunt, animal communicator, that my soup needed salt!  That's why!
Of course, I have to please her!

Since I'm on the subject of Angel, I'll also tell you that she told
Lorelei she gets cold easily.  It makes perfect sense!  She's
incontinent, therefore, her rear end is wet, and she wets her bedding,
and when you're wet....you get cold easily.  Right on the money!  I'm
telling you guys, you really should try animal communication for your
ferrets.  Lorelei was only $25.00 for 20 minutes, $1 a minute after
that...really inexpensive compared to the others.  If anybody is
interested her web page is loreleihunt.com.

Also, I had Lorelei ask Angel how her kidneys and urinary tract felt, and
Angel said everything was fine.  Maybe if I had really listened I would
have saved $200.00 on diagnostic tests that gave me the same answer.
She's just fine  <G>

Bye!

Dodie