From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 11:09:58 -0400
Thanks to everyone who called to check on Rogues Gallery, offer help,
communication, etc.  I appreciate your concern!  I never knew we had so many
friends!!!  :-)

As Jeff Johnston posted, fuzzies & humans are all o.k.  in spite of a tree
falling through a bedroom ceiling, and 90+ degree heat with no power for
3-1/2 days.  We regained power Sun.  night around 8:00p (there was dancing
in the streets!).  The ferrets were lethargic from the heat during the
outage, but we kept them cool by wetting them down every few hours.  I think
they came through it better than we did!  We lost part of a wall, ceilings
in 2 rooms and a closet, but the insurance will cover it.  For the present,
we have a tarp over the roof and are waiting for the insurance appraiser to
come.  We count ourselves lucky.  Many people lost a great deal more, and
many areas are still without power/water.

For some months, my husband and I have planned to temporarily close the
shelter this winter to give us time during the "slow season" to fix up and
sell our home.  With 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, & numerous ferrets, our little
3 bedroom house is getting a bit cramped!  Now, with the hurricane damage,
we do not feel we will be able to give adequate care to so many ferrets
while trying to deal with the insurance company, contracters, realtors, and
potential buyers.  So, effective immediately, Rogues Gallery will be unable
to take in anymore ferrets, except for emergency cases.  We'll continue to
try to find homes for the ferrets we have, and will be available to answer
questions, provide referrals, and participate in all our usual TriFL
activities.  Hopefully, we will be able to work out "foster home"
arrangements with some of the local folks, so that needy ferrets can be
cared for until they can be placed.  And we WILL reopen - in a newer,
larger, and more ferret-hospitable place - as soon as possible!

Thank you again for your thoughts!

Karen
Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue
Durham, North Carolina