From:
"M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 06:52:02 -0700
Thanks to everyone for their help with Ferret Fun!  I have gotten a few
posts since yesterday and wanted to pass along the information people have
sent me.  I didn't know if you wanted me to print your name or not, so I
left it off.

Regarding the Small Animal and Reptile catalog from That Pet Place:

>You forgot to mention that hedgehogs are illegal in California just like
>ferrets, gerbils and various other critters.

That's true.  I remember that because a while back I was thinking of getting
a hedgehog (they are legal where I live, but I still read that).  However,
on the cover of the current catalog is a guinea pig.  The items in the
catalog are for guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, etc.  but hedgehogs and
ferrets are included, as are reptiles.  Still, if you get it your postal
inspector will have no idea what animal you have.  Like I said, I don't
advocate breaking the law, but this catalog is very discreet as to what
animals are in it.  Sorry if I misguided you -- I know that California
outlaws a lot of animals they think can start feral colonies.

FMLer M.H. has a great idea for when your ferret just doesn't seem to be
minding:

>I was trying to play fetch with Uwe, my ferret and when I would toss the
>toy for him to go and get and return to me, he would just run off.  After a
>few days this was irritating so I got my bottle of Ferretone and dabbed a
>little in a few spots on the the toy.  Now when he sees the toy, I let him
>smell it and then toss it out for him to fetch.  It works just swell and is
>entertaining for hours.

Also regarding pet catalogs:

>You mentioned something about wanting cheep pet stores in your last
>post...I have just ordered from this one two weeks ago and I found the
>prices on cages to be more than 1/2 of what I would have had to pay here in
>SC...their shipping is free...the only problem is the catalog is for IBM
>only..bummer for me having a MAC...

this is the info he sent me:
   Web address---->>> http://members.aol.com/zerbert2/marine.htm

I have a MAC too, but it might help someone else! Thanks.

Also, I was curious if anyone knows if Nylabones are safe for ferrets.
Nylabones are fake bones made out of hard nylon material and are typically
dog toys.  I purchased one for my future fuzzie but would like to find out
if it is safe before using it.

Thanks to BIG for sending me the article on ferret names, too! :)

Sorry my article was so long this time, but I received lots of useful
information from FMLers to pass on!

[Moderator's note: I think there is also a text version of the catalog
on the web site which is a least readable from a Mac.  BIG]