From:
calli1tn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:51:27 -0400
My three-year-old ferret Bubba had a distemper reaction (Fervac) tonight.
He was given a shot of benedryl 15 minutes prior because the last time he
threw up, but my vet did not give it through an IV.  He started throwing
up, having diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.  I brought him back to the
vet and he gave him a shot of cortisol (I think) and sent us on our way.
Needless to say, my baby was still not breathing well and was still
throwing up and having diarrhea.  The vet said he was fine and he just
needed to rest!  I called another vet an hour a way that I have taken my
ferret to for adrenal surgery and she said that she would consult with a
vet in my area to get the medical attention he needed.  He was given
subcutaneous fluids and put on oxygen.  The vet also gave him a shot of
adreneline.  Has anyone ever experienced this and what precautions should I
take next time??  Should I even give him the vaccination or skip it because
of his reaction?  I know distemper is fatal in ferrets, but this reaction
was also not good for him.  One vet had mentioned Galaxy as an alternative,
but is it worth the risk of him having another reaction?  His rabie shot
is due, but I am waiting between the shots (how long should I wait before
giving him that?)  Please let me know what you have done if you have been
in this situation.

I am praying that he will be ok.  He seems to be doing fine now and
breathing normally, but he is still acting tired.  He is not throwing up
or having diarrhea.  He will be by my side all night to monitor him!  Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Toni and the three fuzzies (Bubba, Pepe, and Sadi)

[P.S.]
I forgot to put my email address.  You can email me at

Thanks!
Toni and Bubba, Pepe, and Sadi