From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:19:01 -0400
>From:    "Jeffery A. Haremski" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Proglycem use in ferret... & Question about Proglycem
>         shortage(?)
>
>Question: Does anyone know anything about a shortage of Proglycem?  My
>local pharmacy has been trying to fill my prescription for a week now,
>and they are being told the manufacturer is having difficulties making it,
>and it is back-ordered.  They don't know when it can be expected back in
>stock!  I'm getting a bit worried since I have (maybe) a week's worth
>left.  Does anyone know of another brand name for Porglycem?  I tried a
>(pure?) 4% solution of diazoxide once, but she vomitted that out of her
>system.

Have you tried one of the big, online drug stores?  Or maybe another
pharmacy that might just happen to have some on hand?  The quantity of
diazoxide prescribed to ferrets is usually in milligrams, so I don't know
what a 4% solution means.  Perhaps this solution needed to be compounded
into something so that it was the equivalent of Proglycem, which is 50mg/ml
of diazoxide.

If worse comes to worse, I have about 15ml of Proglycem sitting here that I
won't be using.  Beasley did not respond well to Proglycem and it affected
his appetite, so we stopped its use.  I have half a bottle that has an
expiration date of 5/2003, though the prescription label says use by
9/2001, and would be willing to send it to you if Rado needs it.

Here's the hitch.  Since I'm neither a doctor or a pharmacist, it's
illegal for me to dispense prescription drugs.  So I will have to send
the Proglycem to your vet or your pharmacy and they can hand it to you.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc