From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:47:30 -0700
Hi.  Squeek, my fairly immobilized three month 3 week old kit, has blisters
on his tongue, mainly along the edges underneath, with one or two on top
edges, and one in the middle front bottom.  My vet thinks they may be caused
from a virus and, since squeek has already been treated with chlorophenacol
and Baytril, so my vet didn't want to put him on anything else just yet.
They've been getting a bit bigger and started sometime after Squeek went on
prednisone, which he's been off of for about four weeks.  He chews a lot
after finishing a bite, and some other times, though mainly related to
eating, and his tongue is uncoordinated, so we're wondering if he isn't
chewing on his tongue.  The vet thinks not because the blisters are not on
the upper edge, and aren't open sores.  They're white blisters.  The vet
didn't think they were caused by regurgitated acid.  What could they be??

Vet was surprized that Squeek is developing normally, besides an apparent
neurological problem causing lack of balance, inability to hold up head,
and, thus, inability to crawl straight, or walk - he's growing and has a
gorgeous coat, dark sable with white kneecaps, ruff and blaze.  His eyes are
plum colored and look blue in certain light.  When I support his neck, and
hold his spine straight he walks outside, granted that we keep the grass
long enough for his taste.  When he gets to the concrete, he goes limp and
will not try to walk.

Prototype three of a tummy skate we're developing looks very promising!
I'll keep you posted.  If only I could get him started in it on the grass!
But it just wouldn't roll there.  I got some non-skid baby socks, upon
Dayna's advice, to sew skinnier and attach across neck, so he can walk on
hardwood.

Dayna has been very helpful to us with good information and, especially,
great morale boosting, which is very important to people hand
feeding/watering a ferret four plus times a day, getting up at night to
change bedding, water and snuggle, washing tummy daily (because Squeek's
kidneys are irregular - one large, one small - and he leaks a bit, and
loving, loving, loving - he is my best of the best little lap ferret!  and
he loves the afghan that Percy and Georgia Wood sent us - Thank you two
very, very much!!!

Thank you all,

Lynn, Squeek, and Squeek's mom Claudette, and Squeek's true love Tarzan and
daughter Minnie, who she misses at night as she sleeps with Squeek in my
bedroom.

Mom loves Squeek.  When Schroedee Boat passed away we let all the ferrets
see his body.  Most of them knew he'd gone.  Claudette squinted her
beautiful honey-colored eyes and began sniffing very slowly and carefully,
appearing woodenly paralyzed with grief.  She was very perturbed that day,
when we had Squeek away from the cage and she would go to see him, then
dash madly underneath the couch.  I knew she thought the body was her baby,
and it's then, in watching her reaction, I knew how very much she still
loves him.

Doesn't like it when he doesn't pull himself out of bed and poop on the
paper though!  Poor little Squeekers, and Claudette.  She scratches on the
cage door, wakes me up, and I must tend to the changing.  Squeek is growing
into a beauty though.  The vet weighed him at 2.2 pounds; I weighed him
right afterward at 1 lb 13 oz.  - boy is someone's scale off!!

Take Care and Thank you all for your support - personal answers coming to
all!!

Lynn