From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:50:30 -0400
Hello all,

I have to pass on the really sad news of my best friends ferret, Minnie,
who has gone to the Rainbow bridge most unexpectedly.  Minnie was adopted
from a dog/cat shelter last year at the same time that I adopted Figgy, and
was guessed to be around 3 years old then.  She has had no prior health
problems, and just last weekend my friend called to say she had a rash all
over her body.  She took her to the vets, who told her it looked like she
had gotten into a fight with another of her ferrets.  Minnie had gotten out
of her cage that night and was with "the other group".  My friend has 10
ferrets, and some do not get along with others so she 'shifts' them.  She
said the rash did look a bit like scratches.  Today she called to tell me
that last night, Minnie started bruising severely, and she drove 50 miles
to another vet in Neshaminy to find that Minnie had masses in her abd., and
was severely bleeding into her organs.  They had to put her to sleep.  My
friend said she had also seen her regular vet last week, who could not
diagnose her either and thought it might be an allergic rx and put her on
benadryl.  She is so upset, and so angry at these two vets who could not
help her sooner.  She wants to sue them both!  Now I think the local vet
does not know much about ferrets, but her regular vet confesses to and does
see a fairly decent amt.  of them.  The vet that they took her to last
night seemed to think it was some type of cancer.  She did not have a
necropsy done because she wanted to bring her home to be with her beloved
Petey and Bear in the garden.  I don't know what advice to give her
regarding sueing the vets who failed to diagnose this sooner, she is just
in so much pain and anger right now...she loves her little guys more than
life itself.  Has anyone ever dealt with the legal issues of misdiagnoses
in animals before?  Any past experiences or advice would be appreciated,
even negative feelings about why you wouldn't want to do this, would be
appreciated.  I will forward any advice to her as she does not have a
computer.

Thanks, Michele

PS, Skeeter, if you could welcome her too, I'll be sure to let her Mom
know; she really needs it right now.......sorry to the Moms of the other
little ones gone today too......