From:
Norris & Mark Heintzelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 15:27:28 -0800
I developed mild asthma as a result of the fuzzies.  Its nothing life
threatening, just darned uncomfortable, so I'm not sure if any of this will
apply to your situation or not.

I'm taking daily perscription inhalers to manage the asthma.  I'm not
thrilled at having to take them, but I think the joy of having ferrets
outweighs the negatives.

As for the fuzzies themselves, I find I do best when I keep the cage and
especially their bedding (old towels and t-shirts) clean.  And since one
allergy seems to "encourage" others I'm also better off when the house is
clean as well.  The bedroom is strictly off limits to beasties so I have a
clean retreat.  Also the air filter in the bedroom helps out for bad days.
One other thing I do to ease my cat allergies (been meaning to try this on
the ferrets regularly, but they're harder to catch), at a vet's suggestion I
wipe the cat down with a clean, damp washcloth every morning.  It has seemed
to help.

2 things my doctor told me when I first realized the fuzzies were causing me
problems: 1. You cant be allergic to anything with which you have never
before had contact (I lived with ferrets in collage with no problem, it was
only after a 5 year break from them that the asthma started) and 2. Allergies
can come and go at any time with no warning.

Now, if he has trouble with even your clothes

>I have to practically sterilize myself before I can get too close to him.

he has more serious allergies than I do and you may be fighting a losing
battle by trying to mix him and pets.  You should probably ask a doctor to
determine just how serious the risk is before you make any life changes.

Good luck with it all.  I'm hoping you can find a happy medium for
everyone.

Norris (Mom to Nico, Gunther, Ozzie and Miranda, the psycho-kitty)

P.S.  Another thing we found when we left the apartment for the house was
that once we had the ferrets in their own room we had a tendancy to play
with them less often than we did when they were in the living room.