From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:57:07 -0500
>From:    Crys Christian <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Myths and Barking
>When we have something that he wants, he'll make a short, barking noise,
>grab at it, and jump backwards... It startled me the first time he did
>it, and some times he bites rather hard after barking.  We scruff him and
>blowing or hissing in his face seems to help the biting.  The bark is
>rather cute, however.  Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Kits do this quite frequently.  Ours do this when we give them cooked
chicken.  Heck they start up when they smell it!  We have even had kits do
this barking over the chicken when we would give it to mom - before these
kits could see or hear!  It is a warning - "this is mine - stay away!".  I
have a 7 month old hob that barks at others when he is eating, but gets
along great with the others the rest of the time.  He is Mr. Alpha
personality & he is letting that be known.  Your little kit probably is
used to being really competitive for food, water, toys.  etc.  He may get
over this, he may not.  I have noticed some of my barking kits have gotten
over it, some haven't.  They currently only bark at other ferrets tho.  I
would discourage the barking towards people.  It is a super cute little
bark, tho!

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521