From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:48:23 -0500
In reading the past fews days posts regarding licorice ( the red candy
manufactured for human frivolity) It appears to me that we as caretakers for
the ferrets have indeed lost direction.

It is great for US to give the ferrets treats... we feel so good in doing
it.  But why must we continue to treat them with foods that are NOT GOOD FOR
THEM?  The ferrets digestive tract being very short does not digest things
well.  It is not made to break down strawberry or cherry licorice any more
than to break down kernel corn for that matter.

Dr. Bruce Williams has in the past referred to humans giving treats for
their OWN satisfaction more than the ferrets.

Let's re address the treat issue and give our kids something healthier for
THEM.