From:
MSchiffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 21:52:34 -0600
Just a short post to say Thank You to all who e-mailed info, or where I
could find info, to my plea for help, re:School Display.  I haven't put it
all together yet, so any more help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I got email from Lori, a lady considering buying a ferret.  She too,
lives in Alberta, and asked about how our province handles bite cases.  I
had to find this out too, when I first got my fuzzy, shortly after Kodo's
murder.  I thought maybe it would be of interest for others to know this
info.

In Alberta, the most common rabies is the "dumb rabies".  They aren't too
strict, because rabies is low occurrence here.  If there is rabies suspected,
the animal is quarantined in your own home, usually for 10 days, and observed
for strange behaviour.  Of course, they take into account whether the animal
is up to date on innoculations, and what other animals s/he has been exposed
to.  However, the people I talked to were very reasonable, and understood
just fine that ferrets are a)domesticated b)playful and c)liable to nip when
threatened.

Anybody wanting to find out their particular state or province's bite case
regulations should contact their veterinarian or health dept.  I found them
very helpful.

Vanessa and Beau