From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 20:18:53 -0700
Two topics in this letter -

Bathing caution:  [and a sad story - proceed with caution]
This one should be obvious, but isn't always.  PLEASE check the water temp
before you put your ferrets in for their bath.  I just got the GCFA
newsletter today, and it had a column on 2 ferrets who were being given up
to the shelter.  The day before they were to be brought in, the owners
filled a bathtub (but only with hot water) and then put the ferrets in for a
bath - it was only then they realized what the water temp was. :'(   The
female got 3rd degree burns on 25% of her body, 1st & 2nd on another 30%.
The male had 3rd degree burns on 10% and 1st/2nd on 20%.  They were burned
on their lower parts of their body only (natural areas for a swimming ferret
to have submerged).

The ferrets already have a couple waiting to adopt them.  These two have
evidently been real troopers - no nipping at all, even during the painful
procedures required to treat them.  They may need plastic surgery to loosen
the scars, eventually.  (The shelter, already in emergency status because of
the need to find a new location, is suffering because of the extra medical
bills.)  Please, when bathing pets or human babies, remember to check that
water.  I always put my hand in first, and keep it under the faucet when
adjusting water temp - better that I am burned than they are.

HSUS support:
I can't agree with the person who responded to Gary Kaskel's call to boycott
the HSUS.  This group may do good for dogs and cats, true, but there are
many humane societies who also do this.  Find one that you like, and give
money and time to them.  Many HSUS shelters kill ferrets upon admission to
their shelters - I cannot in good conscience support such an organization.
The HSUS (or at least Rachel Lamb) also supports California in their stance
against ferrets, and opposes any other legalization attempts.  To justify
this, they claim that ferrets are too hard to take care of, or that they are
only trying to protect ferrets from further abuse and neglect caused by
popularity.  This ignores their legality in 47 states, and the harm caused
to ferrets (and their owners) who live in FFZs.  Perhaps this is a radical
stance, but I've never been afraid to stand up for things I truly believe
in.  I don't want to own a poisonous cobra or an assault rifle - I want to
have the right to own my little, sweet ferrets without having to worry that
perhaps someday where I live will become a FFZ.  I lived in fear before, and
I won't again - and I want someday for all ferret owners to be secure and
safe with their pets.  I can't support any organization that works against
such a goal, however noble their other deeds have been.

- Denise, plus Rocko, Randall, and Spunky
--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"