From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:24:15 -0400
>Would it work if I require *every person* who visits the shelter to sign a
>release form before seeing the ferrets...

It probably wouldn't work.  I don't think a visitor can legally waive the
right to notify them.  They could probably sign something that says it
absolves you and health dept officials of responsibility and that they agree
to get shots (and pay for them if necessary) if there is any questionable
incident.  But good luck getting it done to a point where it's enforceable.
It would probably have to be witnessed by a neutral third party, just for
starters.  How hard is it to do it right?  I spoke with Robert Jacobs last
night.  Apparently part of the problem with the gentleman involved in the
Kodo incident is that even though he signed a release, it wasn't done in a
'legally enforceable' manner, and noone from the state/health dept can/will
tell him how he CAN release them of responsibility.  This guy doesn't want
the shots, he just wants out.

I think the only effect if might have is to discourage those who don't know
the paper they signed isn't worth it's weight in ferret poo from reporting
an incident.  But then, even that might be worth something.

Then again, it might discourage people from visiting shelters that demanded
it be signed.

-Ilena