From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:12:56 -0500
Here are links to the statutes governing raffles in the State of
Florida. Interestingly enough, if you do have a raffle, you can't
REQUIRE anyone to pay for the tickets. You can suggest a donation
amount but if someone asks for multiple tickets for free, they have
to be provided.

<http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=raffle&URL=CH0849/Sec0935.HTM>

It appears that federally registered non-profits have a little more
leeway to conduct raffles but there is a whole set of procedures they
have to follow to qualify. I would assume (but don't know for sure)
that out-of-state non-profit organizations would be required to
register in Florida is some way prior to conducting a raffle.

<http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute=&URL=Ch0496/titl0496.htm&StatuteYear=2006&Title=%2D%3E2006%2D%3EChapter%20496>

I guess this explains why so few organizations conduct raffles in the
state.