From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:26:36 -0700
Mornin' Folks.  Lots of little stuff to talk about today.

First off, no new activity on the Lost Ferrets website, though I have
noticed some lost ferret postings here on the FML.  Also, the Lost Ferrets
online Treasure Hunt is going well.  Only 9 entries so far, so those of you
who have entered, the odds are pretty good.  The contest ends on Wednesday,
the 18th, so you still have plenty of time to enter.  Also, look for my
one-day-only Halloween contest!!

Now then, ferrets as hobbies.  I don't think anyone here would look at the
animal themselves, or the care associated with them as a hobby.  (Picking
up poops every day - not very relaxing.) However, by the definition in the
dictionary, lots of things associated with ferrets are hobbies.  Play, the
FML, shows, etc.  Dee, don't misunderstand the Killian's acknowledgement
of the dictionary's definition as meaning they think of breeding, or their
ferrets, as of little importance.  First of all, many hobbies require a
good deal of responsibility.  (The playing of sports, for example,
unless done professionally, is a hobby, which requires discipline and
responsibility.)  Many hobbies require quite a bit of knowledge and
extensive research to do properly.  And many, many people take their
hobbies very seriously.  I myself am a silversmith in my spare time.  This
hobby is what I would eventually like to do for a living, but as yet it is
just a hobby.  And it, like my ferrets, is a hobby I am VERY dedicated to.
Also, the Killian's never made the assertion that they considered their
breeding a hobby.  I'm sure they consider their breeding a business.
Totally different animal.  So no worries there.  I'm quite sure that even
if you disagree with the semantics, there is no need to worry for the
safety of the ferrets. :-)

Next, how many of you out there read Sluggy Freelance.  Don't be shy, raise
your hands... If you do, then you know Kiki the Ferret.  (How many of you
are going to vote for Kiki in the upcoming election?  She is running you
know...) If you don't, you should.  There are some absolutely wonderful
cartoons featuring Kiki.  Please visit http://www.sluggy.com and read
October 10th's cartoon.  I laughed so hard I nearly cried.  I'm quite
sure you will all enjoy it as much as I did.

On a personal note.  I don't know how many of you keep your fuzzies in your
bedrooms, but I do.  My bedroom is the only room in my rented apartment
that is safe for them to run free in.  At night, my youngest climbs up in
bed with me and wakes me with cold ferret noses on my warm mommy toeses.
I hear the sound of ferret eating, ferret stashing, ferret drinking, in
the cage, out of the cage, chasing, playing, dooking.  These noises
accompany me into sleep, and beckon me awake in the morning.  (Along with
my alarm...)  This week I have a house guest who is unable to make it up
the stairs to the extra bedroom.  So she is sleeping in my room with my
ferrets, and I am sleeping in the spare room.  I never realized how silent
it is without those noises.  I never thought I would miss them as much as
I do.  I never thought I would notice them being gone.  One night without
them, and I can't wait to get back to them.  Now I'm rambling, so I guess
it is time to get back to work.

Love to all the fuzzies and their people.
Melissa Barnes
www.geocities.com/lostferrets