From:
Tracy Aicher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 19:20:44 -0400
Hi,
I too, am new to FML (I'm also new to AOL, so please forgive my errors).
First, I'd like to introduce my household.  Myself, Tracy, my husband, Mark,
3 children, Andrea (12), Ryan (10) and Sean (3), 3 dogs, Nikki (6), Brandi
(6),and Mac (2), 2 cats, Tiger (7), and Mittens (5) and 1 Iguana, Demon
(about 1 year old).

The only ferret we have ever owned died recently.  Kit, named by my then 9
year old son, came to us from a man who said that he was afraid that his
cats were going to kill her.  She became a part of the family from the
moment she entered our home.  Kit was very well mannered, rarely bit(even
when playing), used her litter box, snuggled with everyone.  We miss her
terribly.  I still find myself checking before I close doors or empty the
clothes hamper.  It seems we just discovered the joys of being owned by Kit
only to lose her.  Our problem is location.  We would like to get 2 ferrets
and don't know where to go.  My husband is in the Air Force and we are
currently stationed at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota.  I have met
only one other ferret owner in the year that we have lived here.

There are 2 pet stores in Grand Forks (a fairly large city for ND) only one
of them sells ferrets.  The store is dirty all the time, the ferrets are
kept in a glassed in cage and the floor shavings (which I've heard cause
respiratory problems in ferrets) is always caked with poop, they have no
food or water in the cage.  I hesitate to purchase a ferret from this store
but they are so cute and I feel so bad for the poor little things.

Does anyone know of an alternative, maybe a shelter or breeder within a 75
mile radius of Grand Forks?  We are located near the western border of
Minnesota.  I'd appreciate any information that anybody could give.  Thanks.