From:
"William L. Sebok" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 00:02:54 -0400
Our neighbor (an insurance agent) came across a neglected, unwanted ferret at
the home of a client.  To make a long story short, we agreed to take the ferret
and the neighbor brought her here today.  She is a very cute little girl.  We
felt sad when we heard she didn't even have a name.  Her only possessions were
a towel, a margarine tub, a bag of cedar chips (!), and some Sun Seed brand
ferret food (a brand we have never heard of).  The people had her for two
months and had never taken her to a vet.  They said (to our neighbor) she is
less than 1 year old and has not been neutered but has been descented (which
doesn't quite make sense to me).  We intend to take her to a veterinarian soon.
She seems to me active, but somewhat thin. She is not in heat.

We realize that for the sake of our other ferrets we need to take infectious
disease precautions and quarantine her for a period of time.  For what length
of time should we quarantine her? What other precautions should we take to make
sure our other ferrets aren't exposed to any diseases from her? We would
appreciate any advice.

Bill & Clare Sebok, Lupi (dog), Ben, Jerry, Buttercup, and newcomer (ferrets)