From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:28:48 EST
stop and do a little research first.  We added a baby skunk to our
household this summer, and we have a number of other pets including 23
ferrets.  "Baby" is an adorable black and white sweetheart, BUT we got
her from a licensed domestic skunk breeder after contacting national and
local domestic skunk clubs for information.  The main thing to know is
the legal issues in your area.  I had to apply for a state permit and
needed the breeders USDA license information because it's a BIG no-no to
keep wild skunks as pets in my area.  We also found that there is even
less known about skunk medicine and nutrition than about ferrets!  There
is NOT a rabies vaccine for skunks, and there is NO second chance if they
bite someone.  I work for an exotic specialty vet, but though he sees
quite a few pet skunks, even he was at a loss when our Baby started
having seizures on a regular basis.  Turned out to be a glucose issue
that we resolved by experimenting with the ratio of fruit to veggies in
her diet.  Now she eats better than my human kids!

As far as coexisting with the ferrets, well I've actually never
introduced them.  At first I was afraid they would be too rough on her.
Her neck is not as tough and I could just picture them dragging her under
the couch bleeding.  Now that she's six months old she's almost as big as
a cat and has a LOT of teeth and this adolescent nippy stage has been a
challenge - I'm really afraid she might hurt THEM.  She plays very well
with our cat and Sheltie, but I'd love to hear if any other FMLers have
stories or suggestions on ferret/skunk introductions.

Pam VanO and the 23 Cincinnati Kids (plus 7 fuzzy kits!)