From:
"William L. Sebok" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:49:26 -0500
Meagan Quinn asked:
>I am planning on a Martin's Cage or a Mid-West... any reason why one might
>be better than the other??

We are a happy user of Martin's Cages.  We met Skip Martin at some of the
ferret shows in the Maryland area.  One thing we like about his cages is
that you can special order a cage of your own design for quite a reasonable
price.  We have two such special ordered cages.  One is a 3 story cage with
floors that go all the way across the cage (rather than little alcoves that
go only partly across).  I think that the alcove design wastes precious
space in the cage.  I also was afraid that our older ferrets could be
injured if they fell the long distance a ferret can fall in such an open
design.  Skip gave me the materials to put a little door on the side of
this cage and also the materials to put such a door on the 2 story cage we
previously owned.  Now the two cages are connected with some plumbing so
the ferrets have a total of 5 floors that they can roam.

The other special ordered cage is a two story cage that is their "travel
home".  The cage was designed to just fit in the hatch of our '97 Honda
Civic.  I also requested the lower level (used for food and litter box)
less height than the upper level (used for sleeping).  The extra room in
the sleeping level can be used to have several levels of hammocks to give
the ferrets a feeling of having more room.  Now that we also have a dog
carrier in the car beside the cage it is getting hard to open the cage
while packed in the car.  I am considering asking Skip to let me purchase
the hardware for a access door on the side of the cage.

We have no connection to Skip Martin or Skip Martin's Critters and Cages
other than that of a satisfied customer.

Bill Sebok with ferrets: Buttercup, Bridgett, Jasmine, Bonnie, and Charlie
and Sheltie: Patrick