From:
Andre Klefenz / Jennifer Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 1995 20:41:00 -0400
Wayne ((We've tried everything,but our ferret just won't go in her litter box.))

I posted a copy to you but I thought there might be others who would like
to read this.

About getting your little carpet-poo-er to use a litterbox, do you keep her
in a cage when no one is around? If so, go with the tried and true method
of waiting for her to poo before letting her out. I have also read that a
ferret's digestive tract is about 20 minutes long so you can have a better
idea of when to watch for her inappropriate behavior. You can also sprinkle
food on the floor where she poos most. The area then becomes a food place,
not a turd place.

Newton is pretty good about using her litterboxes but occasionally gets
careless. I am starting to learn that this comes with the territory:) I
also have three litterboxes in my one floor apartment (1 in her cage, 1 in
the bathroom and 1 just inside the apartment door). Your problem may be
that you dont have enough (ferrets wont go far to find a place to poo).
When I do see her getting careless I shoot her with a watergun or I clap my
hands and put her in her box. I also give her the linatone when she is
good.

I hope you have some luck with your fuzzy, and one last tip is to give in
to her ideas about where to poo and put a box where she goes the most.

FUNNY>>
        Newton was standing near an overhang on the bottom of my dresser
when she sneezed(which involves a violent shake of her head) and knocked
her nose on the overhang...which made her sneeze again and knock her nose
again and again and again and again, until I moved her. She mustve been so
dazed she didnt think of MOVING!!!

Jen, Andre and Newton(I didn't do it!)
Halifax, Nova Scotia