From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:35:05 -0400
I'm not a Modern Ferret subscriber, in fact I only have one copy of Modern
Ferret that I found once at our local Barnes and Noble.  I don't subscribe
to any magazines presently, and honestly I don't think if I did I would
subscribe to Modern Ferret as it just isn't my cup of tea.  However, I do
find Modern Ferret's articles to be vastly superior to most of the articles
that I've read in Ferrets Magazine.  I apologize if that offends readers
here, as I have seen the names of some of those authors on the FML.

Ferrets and Ferrets Annual (by Fancy publications) are jam packed full of
incorrect information in every single issue.  And even though I haven't
seen the pictures in the recently debated Modern Ferret Halloween issue I
can promise you that many of the pictures in Ferrets magazine (pick any
issue) should frighten people here a lot more.  These are pictures (not
spoofs) of ferrets chewing on unsafe toys, sitting in cedar shavings,
playing in cages with bare wire floors and there is nothing in the magazine
to say that these aren't good situations for a ferret to be in.  I think we
all know to keep our ferrets out of blenders(or out of dinosaurs for that
matter).  Ferrets magazine is labeled for novice ferret owners, and the
editors of this magazine are putting out bad advice right and left.  I
would hate to see this magazine become the only periodical that ferret
owners (and more importantly uneducated prospective owners) have to turn to.

I can easily find Ferrets and Ferrets Annual at PetsMart any day of the
week, and at many other smaller mom and pop pet stores.  But other than
Barnes and Noble, I cannot find Modern Ferret anywhere in my city.  For the
person comparing the costs of the two magazines, Fancy publications has
countless magazines covering just about every pet imaginable.  Their income
is easily one hundred times greater than that of the producers of Modern
Ferret simply by volume.  The difference being quantity vs.  quality.  If
ferret owners don't support their local shelters (run by those who care
about ferrets), they may someday be gone.  If ferret owners don't support
quality organizations like The Ferret Store (run by those who own and care
about ferrets), they too may someday be gone.  If ferret owners choose to
undermine the producers of Modern Ferret (put out by those who own and love
ferrets) they may sadly find that Ferrets magazine is all they have left.
Our animals are very special to all of us, and they have special needs.
There are those out there that go the extra mile to make the world a
better place for ferrets and those who love them.  Please put aside your
differences and put the animals first or someday you may find those special
resources are sadly diminished.

I'm going to go check on my house otters now, and make sure there isn't a
T-rex hiding in their hammock.

Robynn and the Four Ferrets of the Apocalypse